The village of Coddington precedes its Doomsday Book recording by at least four hundred years, and its entry shows its patronage to be in possession of the brothers Hugh and Ralph de Arscio in 1093. By 1098 the patronage was held by the Abbey of St Werburgh at Chester. During Henry VIII Dissolution of the Monasteries the patronage was transferred to the Dean and Chapter of Chester Cathedral, who remain joint patrons with the Duke of Westminster. A proportion of the farms, land and properties remain in the possession of the Duke of Westminster.
Although there are other listed buildings of interest in the village, St Mary’s church is one of the most prominent and visible. The current Grade II listed sandstone built parish church of Coddington was completed in 1834. Its predecessor, which was demolished in 1833 for being structurally unsafe, is believed to have dated from between the 8th and 10th century.
An excellent online source of information relating to the history of Coddington Parish Church, can be found at the following link: Click here